Sanford Stolar is a tax partner in the Personal Wealth Services group of Berdon LLP. In a career spanning 25 years, he has advised numerous high net worth individuals, among them managing principals of hedge funds and private equity funds, entrepreneurs, executives, attorneys, and bankers. Mr. Stolar has particular expertise in income, and estate and gift tax planning.
Mr. Stolar works closely with clients in areas that include:
- Income tax consulting, taking into account net investment income tax, alternative minimum tax, passive activity loss rules, and foreign tax and entity ownership issues among other areas
- Analyzing employee stock options and restricted stock for income and gift tax planning purposes
- Advising on wealth transfer plans to help achieve an individual’s goals and objectives
- Assisting with retirement planning related to qualified plans, IRAs, and Roth IRAs
- Determining the tax implications of divorces including analyzing contemplated asset transfers
- Representing clients before federal and state taxing authorities, including for residency audits
- Crafting charitable giving arrangements
- Identifying tax-effective ways to fund the education of children and grandchildren
- Identifying tax appropriate business entity structures for new business owners
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Mr. Stolar has written on employee stock options for Bottomline and was quoted on overlooked tax deductions in U.S. News and World Report.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mr. Stolar received a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from Binghamton University and a Master of Science degree in taxation from SUNY Albany. He obtained his license as a certified public accountant in New York in 1994.