Mark G. Bosswick, Co-Managing Partner of Berdon LLP, has been with the firm for more than 35 years. A CPA and tax attorney, Mark advises family businesses and high net worth individuals — bringing a practical, entrepreneurial understanding of business, personal, and family dynamics. With this well-rounded perspective, he considers the complex interplay between every factor when guiding clients on ways to protect, grow, and transfer wealth. Mark advises clients in a variety of industries, most notably real estate, financial services, entertainment, and hospitality. He has close associations with numerous real estate owners, builders, and operators ― including serving as a fiduciary, mediator, and investment consultant to prominent real estate families. He consults on major real estate transactions in the billions of dollars.
Mark works closely with clients in the following areas:
- Consulting with multi-generational family-owned business clients on succession planning
- Representing and administering trusts and estates of real estate and business owners
- Estate planning using sophisticated wealth-transfer techniques
- Serving on investment committees of family groups and business entities
- Developing and monitoring overall wealth-preservation investment strategies conforming with the standards of the Prudent Investor Act and Uniform Principal and Income Act
- Mediating, negotiating, and structuring partnership, shareholder, and buyout agreements
His experience in the real estate arena includes:
- Advising on restructuring debt
- Planning and structuring joint venture arrangements, including property
- Advising and negotiating sales and acquisitions
- Formulating lease arrangements
- Acquiring mortgages and related REOs
- Developing creative approaches for like-kind exchanges
In addition, Mark assists clients in litigation support matters, including matrimonial, bankruptcies, restructurings, and real estate disputes. Working closely with attorneys throughout the discovery process, he consults on interrogatories and depositions as well as drafting and submitting discovery requests and affidavits. Mark has been appointed by the United States Magistrate and the Supreme Court Justice in connection with dissolution and winding-up proceedings.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Anti-Defamation League Foundation
Association for a Better Long Island, Associate Member
New York State Bar Association
- Tax Section
- Trust and Estate Law Section
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Real Estate Board of New York, Allied Member
Real Estate Institute at Stony Brook University, Board Member
Mark has been quoted in publications, among them Crain’s New York Business and Long Island Business News, on techniques to acquire, hold, and transfer real estate; strategies to sell a business; and ways to reduce estate taxes.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mark holds a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting, cum laude. He received a Juris Doctor degree from Brooklyn Law School and a Master of Laws degree in taxation from NYU School of Law. In 1984, he obtained his license as a certified public accountant in New York. Mark was admitted to practice law before the Courts of NY in 1987 and the U.S. Tax Court in 1988.