James Huang is an Audit Partner at Berdon LLP with more than two decades of experience in public accounting. James advises clients in the real estate, affordable housing, construction, and not-for-profit sectors. He works closely with both for profit and not-for-profit developers with properties both in and out of tax credit programs. He provides accounting services for affordable housing projects from the pre-development phrase to the completion and throughout the compliance period.
He has particular expertise in:
- Structuring tax credit transactions utilizing various financing scenarios including subsidies, taxable and tax exempt financing and coordinating them with federal, state and local tax credits and incentives
- Analyzing and issuing 95-5 and 50% tests for tax exempt bond transactions for both affordable and mixed-use housing projects
- Analyzing and issuing 10% carryover tests for 9% tax credit allocations
- Performing audit for cost certifications of tax credit projects
- Providing Year 15 analysis and strategies
- Knowledgeable in historical credits, solar credits, Brownfield credits in addition to the low income housing tax credit which allows him to maximize the benefits of a combined structure
- Conducting audits of HUD assisted projects
- Financial statements and tax services for not-for-profit, construction and real estate operators
- Performing agreed upon procedures
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
James earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Brooklyn College. He is licensed as a certified public accountant in New York State.